- Supports legislation requiring minors to wear an ASTM/SEI-approved helmet when riding on public land.
Land Use & Natural Resources
- Supports manure composting.
- Supports regenerative pasture management.
- Supports nutrient management and stormwater run-off regulation.
- Supports state efforts to manage the deer population.
- Supports the shared use of state parks and other public lands, including a requirement that farmers who lease public land must leave and maintain a 20-foot border around their crops to permit unobstructed access to trail heads, to promote good environmental practices, and to ensure access for first responders.
- Supports the inclusion of horses in the definition of livestock.
- Supports preserving agricultural land.
- Supports the Maryland Horse Council Foundation's program the Maryland Equine Transition Service’s mission to provide safe alternatives for horses needing to be re-homed.
- Supports the Maryland Fund for Horses’ mission to protect the health, safety, and welfare of horses in Maryland.
- Supports the American Horse Council’s Welfare Code of Practice.
- Supports the Prevent All Soring Tactics (PAST) Act of 2019, which would ban the use of action devices used to exaggerate the high step of gaited horses.
- Supports efforts to preserve and expand bans on horse slaughter.
- Supports the Maryland Horse Industry Board’s mission of regulating equine businesses and promoting and marketing the Maryland equine industry
- Supports the Racehorse Integrity and Safety Act of 2020, which empowers the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority to develop national anti-doping and racetrack safety programs.
- Supports state and national drug-testing policies.
- Supports state and national track safety programs.
- Supports the revenue from slots at racetracks to be used to benefit Maryland’s horse racing industry.
- Supports the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association’s efforts on behalf of the safety and financial interests of backstretch workers and jockeys, track safety, and the interests of owners and trainers.
(updated - 3/9/21)